For the Stranger by Carolyn Forché

 Hello, stranger.

Surely you've travelled a long way to reach here.

I have also travelled a long way to be here. 

It has been a worthwhile journey, catapulting me to adulthood. Now, this road is the only rule I live by. I don't know what else is to come in this journey, but something within is urging me to go on living, breathing, writing, reading, each day. Sometime, somewhere, I'll be ready for the next fork in the road. For now, I'm enjoying this moment, by the bay, at peace, knowing I'll get to my destination, someday.


For now, here's a poem, my gift to you.


For the Stranger
by Carolyn Forché

Although you mention Venice
keepin it on your tongue like a fruit pit
and I say yes, perhaps Bucharest, neither of us
really knows. There is only this rain
slipping through pastures of snow,
a sleigh reaching down to touch its buried runners.
We meet on the shaking platform,
the wind's broken teeth sinking into us.
You unwarp your dark bread
and share with me the coffee
sloshing from your gloves.
Telegraph posts chop the winter fields
into white blocks, in each window
the crude painting of a small farm.
We listen to mothers scolding
children in English as if
we do not understand a word of it--
sit still, sit still.

There are a few clues as to where
we are: the baled wheat scattered
everywhere like missing coffins.
The distant yellow kitchen lights
wiped with oil.
Everywhere the black dripping wires
stretching messages from one side 
of a country to another.
The men who stand on every border 
waving to us.

Wiping ovals of breath from the windows
in order to see ourselves, you touch
the glass tenderly wherever it holds my face.
Days later, you are showing me
photographs of a woman and children
smiling from the windows of your wallet.

Each time the rain slows, a man
with our faces in the gold buttons
of his coat passes through the cars
muttering the name of a city. Each time
we lose people. Each time I find you
again between the cars, holding out
a scrap of bread for me, something
hot to drink, until there are
no more cities and you pull me
toward you, sliding your hands
into my coat, telling me
your name over and over, hurrying
your mouth into me. 
We have, each of us, nothing.
We will give it to each other. 

Comments

Popular Posts